Saturday, January 8, 2011

01/07/11 - Rankel


Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

225 pound Deadlift, 6 reps

7 Burpee pull-ups

10 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood

Run 200 meters

source: crossfit.com
time: 20:00 - 5 rounds
works: Endurance, legs, core, back, shoulders
difficulty: 8
my effort: 9

This was a fun workout, but it was hard to complete at my gym, because I had to move around the whole facility to get the proper equipment.

Being 6'3", I have an advantage in the deadlift department, so I moved through each set of these very quickly.

The burpee pullups get tiring very fast. I was glad that the workout only called for 7 reps. It's difficult to maintain a good transition from the "pop-up" of the burpee into the immediate jump for the pullup. It's also hard finding a bar high enough to where a jump doesn't put me into a full pullup immediately. I found a bar that worked, but that's why I had to spend so much time walking around between exercises.

The KB swings in this sequence have a nasty habit of being more tiring than they initally seem, leaving you gassed when you get
to the sprints. That was the other thing that made me lose a lot of time on this workout: waiting for the treadmill to get set. It's not like a track, where you can immediately move into a 200m sprint. But it also likely gave me a bit more recovery time, so maybe that helped. Also, the treadmills are governed at 12.5 mph, which isn't very fast for a 1/2 lap sprint.

Take a crack at this routine; it's fun.

Here's a hint: you don't need a gym to do this. You can buy or make a sandbag trainer, and use it for the deads. Grab a tree branch for the pullups. Use the sandbag again for the KB swings, and then sprint a block and back.

(photo credit: http://www.musclegaintruth.us/2121/weight-lifting-exercises-deadlifts)

No comments:

Post a Comment